- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large cooking onion - diced
- 1 large clove garlic - minced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- ½ tbsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp tumeric
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- ½ tsp cayenne powder*
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- ½ can diced tomatoes and their juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt, pepper
- Heat oil on medium heat in saucepan and add onion, sprinkle with salt to release the sugars for caramelizing. Stirring frequently, cook until browned.
- Add garlic and spices and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Gently stir in chicken stock being sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Add tomatoes and coconut milk. Allow to simmer while preparing the next step.
Chicken and Rice
- 8 – 10 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken
- 1 diced medium carrot
- 1 diced rib of celery
- 2 – 3 1” diced medium white potatoes
- 4 cups prepared Basmati Rice
- Heat a deep saucepan to medium heat, then place chicken thighs in a single layer. Brown on each side for about 10 mins.
- Remove temporarily to a plate, add carrots and celery. Cook about 10 minutes until lightly browned and starting to soften.
- Place chicken back into the pan, add potatoes, salt and pepper and cover with curry sauce. This will need to simmer gently for one and a half hours. Chicken should be well cooked and easy to cut with a fork. Adjust seasoning.
- Spoon rice onto plate and top with a scoop or two of curry. Garnish with Cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
*Turn up the heat!! This is a fairly mildly spiced curry, if you would like a little more heat, increase the cayenne pepper.
This recipe takes approximately 2 ½ hours total time to prepare from start to finish. Yield is 6 – 8 portions.