"A tasty Eggplant Caponata filled with intense and rich flavours that is simply awesome with our Bella Terra Cabernet Sauvignon!" Trina Worthy - Customer Service
- 2 – 3 cups of olive oil
- 2 lbs. eggplant, cut into 1” cubes (Sicilian is best)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 rib celery, diced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp tomato paste, thinned with ¼ cup water
- ½ can diced italian tomatoes
- 6 oz pitted green olives, roughly chopped
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup capers, drained
- 3 – 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp finely grated dark unsweentened chocolate
- ½ cup finely shredded fresh basil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- Heat frying pan medium-high heat. Working in batches, heat approximately ½ cup of olive oil and add just enough eggplant to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook until browned and softened. (This takes approximately 15 minutes each batch.)
- Transfer to a large bowl. Reduce heat to medium and caramelize** onions and celery together, season with salt and pepper while cooking.
- Add tomato paste and cook until liquid is reduced. Add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients except for the basil and pine nuts and cook gently, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Remove from heat, taste and adjust salt and pepper, then add the basil and pine nuts. Allow to cool at room temperature before serving with fresh crusty bread or crostini. Enjoy!
*Yield is approximately 4 cups so you may want to cut this in half. It does last 1 – 1 1/2 weeks in the fridge.
** sugars are released while cooking turning vegetables a dark golden brown, soft and slightly translucent