Thai Chicken Soup
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. of grated fresh Ginger
- 1 tbsp. of grapeseed/vegetable oil
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 2 (14 oz) cans of coconut milk
- 2 stalks of lemon grass – crush gently to release flavours
- 2 carrots sliced thin
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 bunch Cilantro – remove stems and tie with kitchen twine, chill and reserve tops
- 1 ½ boneless chicken thighs, skin removed, seasoned with salt and pepper*
- 8 oz Cremini mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 3 limes juiced plus zest
- 1 tbsp. of sugar
- 2 -3 tbsp. of red curry paste
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in soup pot (4-6 litres) over medium heat, add onions, garlic and ginger. Cook gently until softened.
- Stir in chicken broth, 1 can of the coconut milk, 1-2 tbsp. of the red curry paste (how spicy do you like it?), lemon grass, carrots, 1 tbsp. fish sauce and cilantro stems. Bring up to almost boiling and add seasoned chicken pieces.
- Sauté mushrooms gently in a small pot of butter and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the 2nd can of coconut milk until hot – not boiling – then whisk in remaining fish sauce. Lime juice and sugar. Add in 1 – 2 more tbsp. of red curry paste.
- Reduce heat to just below a simmer for approximately 1 hour, until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Remove chicken from soup and allow to cool on cutting board. Discard lemon grass and cilantro stems.
- Remove soup from heat and skim any surface fat. Shred chicken into bite sized pieces. Add back into the soup along with the coconut milk mixture.
- Garnish bowls with a pinch of lime zest and roughly chopped cilantro.
* Replace chicken with precooked shrimp at the end with the coconut mixture, or as an addition to the chicken for a heartier meal.