Enjoy your weekend getaway by planning a customized tour and tasting at one of the unique wineries in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE, Ont. (April 26, 2015) – There is no better way to experience the joys of Niagara this summer than on a custom wine tour in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
With spring finally arriving, it’s the perfect time to plan your Niagara getaway with friends and family. There are plenty of unique wineries to explore throughout the region, and putting together a wine tasting itinerary is an easy and inexpensive way to try some old favourites and discover news wines best suited for your palette.
“With scenic vineyards and gorgeous wineries, Niagara-on-the-Lake is a popular destination for wine lovers during the summer months,” says Marcel Morgenstern, a Sommelier and national sales manager at Pondview Estate Winery. “With new wineries opening every year, there is never a shortage of things to do or vineyards to explore. Niagara-on-the-Lake’s convenient wine route offers the perfect opportunity to make the most of your vacation – and it’s as simple as grabbing a map and choosing your destinations. Many people come to Niagara to visit the smaller, family-owned wineries that offer exclusive wines and tasting experiences that you won’t find anywhere else.”
When you are heading out into Niagara’s wine country, Marcel offers the following tips to help you make most of your excursion.
- Plot your approach. There are free maps of the Niagara-on-the-Lake wine region in almost every local winery and hotel as well as online at wineriesofniagaraonthelake.com. Planning your approach is key to making sure you have enough time to explore the many boutique wineries serving unique wines not commonly available in larger retailers.
- Tour by bike. Biking is a great way to travel between wineries and enjoy the scenic countryside. Whether you plan on bringing your own bike or renting from a local bike shop, it’s ideal for getting around the Four Mile Creek appellation where there are bike paths and wide shoulders designed for rider safety.
- Set aside a weekday. For a quieter experience, visit during the week when the wineries and restaurants aren’t as crowded. If you’re looking for a weekend getaway, be sure to book your meals and private winery tours ahead of time.
- Tour the actual winery. Plan to visit more than just the tasting room. Many wineries offer private tours of the facilities or grounds that you can book according to your schedule. At Pondview, private tours starting at $8 get you into the vineyard and barrel room where you can sample wines paired with artisan cheeses.
- Get your wine home. Don’t let your wine purchases weigh you down. Ask the winery if you can pick up your bottles at the end of the day, or take note of the wine you want to purchase and return to get it later. Some smaller wineries may even deliver within Niagara-on-the-Lake, so be sure to ask about your options.
And remember, don’t drink and drive!
About Pondview Estate Winery
Drawing on more than three generations of winemaking experience, Pondview Estate Winery is one of the newest additions to the Four Mile Creek appellation in the heart of Niagara’s wine country. Family owned by Luciano and Adriana Puglisi, Pondview crafts exceptional Ontario VQA wines rooted in an Italian heritage. Luciano’s enthusiasm and respect for the winemaking process, alongside his dedication and commitment to excellence, earned him the prestigious title of Grape King in 2008, awarded by the Ministry of Agriculture to the finest vineyard operator in Ontario. The secret to the success of Pondview Estate Winery is the long-held belief of the Puglisi family: Great wine is a harmony of earth and vine.