Sicilian Seafood Stew
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 1/2 cup of red wine*
- 1/2 lnb scallops, rinsed
- 1/2 lb shrimp, shelled and deviened
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- chopped black olives
** Pondview addition; chopped cilantro, crab claws and lemon wedges.
- In a large pot, over high heat, sauté onion in the olive oil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the celery, red and green peppers; stir and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, basil and marjoram; stir to mix.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the clam juice and wine.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the scallops and shrimp; cook and stir for about 4 minutes or until the scallops are no longer opaque and the shrimp are pink.
- Add in the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste; stir to combine.
- Ladle stew into individual bowls.
- Sprinkle capers and chopped olives on top,if desired, serve with a generous slice of crusty bread.
*Best to have 2 bottles of Lot 74 Red
©2014 Scripps Networks, LLC/ All rights Reserved. Http//www.food.com/56413